Thursday, March 14, 2013

What is Your Favorite Passover Food? And Why?



More than any other Jewish holy day, Pesach is deeply intertwined with food. The obvious reason is that the principle mitzvot of Pesach have to do with food. We are prohibited from eating chametz (leaven), and obligated to eat Matzah. These two symbolic gestures, when done with the proper intention, bring us into contact with the story of our ancient ancestors and the formative moment of the Jewish people, our exodus from Egyptian slavery and covenant with God.

I must admit, I don’t really love cleaning the house of chametz. And, if the truth be told I’m not a big fan of matzah. But there are many Passover foods that I look forward to every year.

First, there is the green vegetable. I love veggies, and early spring veggies are both delicious and symbolic. As we celebrate liberation and its season, spring, I always try to have a luxurious selection of karpas at my seders. Not just a little parsley sprig, but scallions, romaine, parsley, celery, endive, and colorful radishes.

Then there is the maror. Yum! I am part of a multi-generational group of men who each year gather just before pesach to make fresh, homemade horseradish. We grind up more than 20 lbs of fresh root and through our teary eyes, we sing Carlebach melodies, dance around the food processor, and imagine the beauty of the seder and the poignancy of its rituals.

And of course, let’s not forget charoset. The sweet and sticky symbol of the labor imposed on the Israelites. There are literally hundreds of delicious recipes. I personally like apples, though many customs use apricots, prunes and dates. I also like a little fresh ginger to add spice and heat to the sweet mortar.

Finally, the wine. While one should certainly be careful not to drink too much, Passover invites us to indulge a little bit and drink joyfully from four full cups of wine. Reminiscent of blood, the wine both gets us tipsy and makes us sober to the realities of our liberation story, and the blood which was spilled in the course of setting the Israelites free – the Passover lamb, the plagues, the first born Egyptians, and all who stayed behind. We diminish the second cup of wine as we recite each plague so that we never forget that our freedom came with an un-payable debt.

Wow. I’m full. It must be time for my personal family favorite – Passover chocolate fudgies, my mother’s recipe for kosher for Pesach brownies. Each family hastheir own food traditions, and I always remember my parents and grandparents and the wonderful seders we had when I was young, and the incredible and love filled food my mother prepared for the festival meal.

Carrot tzimmes? Matzah ball soup? Potato Kugel? These are some of my favorites. What are some of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment